Saturday, July 7, 2018

Gilar the Dwarf


While driving home from work today I decided that I wanted to create a character for D&D. But not any of those newfangled editions... I wanted to go back to my roots:

Advanced Dungeons & Dragons, 2nd Edition.

It's only fitting, given our recent move. I grew up in the Philadelphia area playing AD&D 2nd Ed. in the 90's. Now that I'm back, I should be spending a little time with the game that turned me into an RPG fanatic. Ever since unpacking our books, I've been reading through some of my old Player's Handbook Rules Supplements - the old brown back splat books chock full of crazy optional rules, kits, and gonzo proficiencies. 

I should be clear that I'm not making this character for any particular game. Once I'm done, they'll probably just stay here on the blog gathering virtual dust. 

But you never know.

First a few rules for this character's generation:

  • I'll be rolling 4d6 drop the lowest in order. No swapping stats, no seventh roll, just the six. Am I breaking my personal rule of 3d6 in order? Sure, however this is how we did things back in the 90's. This is how Ace of Base or Green Day would want me to roll. This is how we're doing it. 
  • The character will be 3rd level (or 2/2 if multi-classed). We never, EVER started campaigns at 1st level. Actually that's not true, I started one campaign at 1st level one time. That was it, and it was pretty much just a campaign with my brother. 3rd level was where the fun started. 
  • I'm going to use one of the Player's Handbook Rules Supplements. I'll definitely be taking a super-swank kit as well!
  • I hope I can make a Dwarf!

Here goes:

Gilar* the Dwarf Thief (Pest Controller), Level 3
*Name generated with the Dwarf Name Generator Tables on page 36 of PHBR6
  • Strength: 9, Dexterity: 14, Constitution: 15, Intelligence: 16, Wisdom: 10, Charisma: 12
  • HP: 15 (3d6+3), AC: 8 (Leather Armor), THAC0 19
  • Proficiencies:
    • Weapon (2): Dagger, Short Bow
    • Non-Weapon (8+Kit+Craft): Animal Lore (K), Pest Control (K), Brewing (C), Underground Survival, Fungi Recognition, Fire-Building, Local History, Alertness, Gaming, Rope Use, Tumbling 
    • Languages (5): Common, Dwarf, Gnome, Goblin, Orc, Thieves' Cant
  • Thief Skills:
    • 5% Pick Pockets
    • 60% Open Locks
    • 60% Find/Remove Traps
    • 50% Move Silently
    • 5% Hide in Shadows
    • 15% Detect Noise
    • 60% Climb Walls
    • -5% Read Languages
  • Age: 65, Height: 3'11", Weight: 151 lbs
  • Equipment: Leather Armor, 3 Daggers, Short Bow, Thieves' Picks, Backpack, Quiver, Arrows (24), 50' Hemp Rope, Grappling Hook
  • Treasure: 3 gp, 8 sp

Could I have made a Mage? Yeah, sure. But I didn't want to make a Mage, I wanted to be a Dwarf, and Dwarves can't be Mages. And that's how it was during the old days. Sometimes to play what you wanted to play something in particular, you had to go with a weird build. 

No comments:

Post a Comment